The base of Trump supporters , it turns out, is also the owner base for Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer and Pontiac Grand Prix . If you own a Prius, you’re 126% more likely to want Ted Cruz than everyone else. How do we know this?
Because somebody did a big fat study, that’s why!
Car Talk, the iconic PBS radio show combined forces with the website BestRide.com to poll 10,000 people online. They had two questions: what car do you drive and what candidate do you hope is elected president?
As I write this, there are only five Republican candidates left, with Jeb Bush the latest casualty. Jeb, by the way, aligns very tightly with Ford Taurus owners.
Would you buy a used car from this man?
Here are some of the result highlights:
- Not only do Prius owners skew strongly for Ted Cruz, but they also are 40% more likely to support Hillary.
- You’ll find more Hillary lovers in a group of Toyota, Lexus and Acura owners.
- Dodge owners favor Donald Trump 50% more than the general population.
- Best performing model for Bernie Sanders? No shock here: Honda Fit and Subaru Forester.
- Among electric car owners, 86% of responses were for a Democrat and 14% were for a Republican.
- Ted Cruz doesn’t draw much love from electric car owners.
- Most popular car model among supporters of the departed Chris Christie is the Mercury Monterey
What do you drive… who are you voting for? How does your car remind you of your candidate?